The Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) was established in August 2008 in a merger of both the men’s and women’s international lacrosse associations and is the international governing body for men’s and women’s lacrosse.
The FIL is responsible for the governance and integrity of all forms of lacrosse and provides responsive and effective leadership to support the sports’ development throughout the world.
The FIL currently holds five World Championships:
- Men’s World Lacrosse Championship
- Men’s Under-19 World Lacrosse Championship
- Men’s World Indoor Lacrosse Championship
- Women’s Lacrosse World Cup
- Women’s Under-19 World Lacrosse Championship
Each event is held on a quadrennial basis.